I am setting myself a crazy movie challenge. The long list for the AACTA Awards was announced earlier in the month. I am going to watch them ALL before the Award night in December. I know right. Watching movies. What a chore.
Anyhow, it is the longest long list ever because AACTA has broadened the feature film eligibility. I hope that means there is less chance of some gem slipping through the cracks of obscurity.
Australian cinema is challenged.
I love Australian movies but….
- The screaming noise of Marvel/Disney/Pixar/Hollywood/BigBucks easily drowns out most of the local product. I had only heard of 7 of the 35 on the longlist. (Probably more than most people?)
- This is because Margaret and David have left my television screen and I find it harder to keep up with what is being released. (Still mourning a little)
- Plus, if I want to see something the chances are it will be in the cinema for a week or on such a limited release it won’t show in my local town.
How can you see these movies?
- AACTA’s Australian Festival of Film will also be showing the films and documentaries in competition. This is in Sydney, Melbourne, Perth and Brisbane.
- If you have Foxtel you rent Jasper Jones and Lion. I didn’t search for any others. They might be there.
- Join the Australian Film Insitute and watch them on AACTA TV
I am putting my money where my mouth is (I am a loud mouthed introvert but not very rich). I have joined the Australian Film Institute. With a 20% DISCOUNT! Look out for the sponsored post on your Facebook newsfeed for the discount.
I will post my progress and my thoughts on each film. This is the longlist. How many have you seen? How many have you heard of? Did you love/hate any of them?
Here is the longlist. How many have you seen? How many have you heard of? Did you love/hate any of them?